REETIME News Technology Business

26 July 2013

Audible wants you to listen. reetime news technology.

Audible wants you to listen
By Adam Lashinsky, senior editor-at-large   @FortuneMagazine July 25, 2013: 7:14 AM ET

Donald Katz says Audible's customers are highly loyal.

(Fortune)
CEO Donald Katz tells Fortune how he turned Audible into a powerhouse, sold it to Amazon, and traded notes with Steve Jobs:
Fortune: You founded Audible in 1995, sold it to Amazon in 2008, and are still running it. How did you get started?
Donald Katz : I was a writer for 20 years, and in the early Internet days one of my articles was ripped off by techies all over the world. I remember thinking that there had to be a way to protect the integrity of professional creativity. I liked to jog with a belly pack full of tapes because I loved listening to literature. My old college roommate, a supercomputer designer in Silicon Valley, explained to me how the compression of digital signals worked and how talking, as opposed to video or music, could more easily be transmitted over phone lines. That's how Audible was born.

Thank you CNN. From reetime news technology.

REETIME News Technology Business